If you’re worried about the soup being too spicy, don’t be. Once hot peppers like jalapeños are roasted, they become more sweet and lose much of their heat. This soup stores well and builds flavour over time – just keep it refrigerated or freeze.
- 1 large white onion - peeled & cut into quarters
- 1 large carrot - cut in half
- 2-3 jalapeños - seeded & halved
- 1 red bell pepper - seeded & halved
- 1 - 796 ml (28oz) can organic fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 small garlic bulb - peeled & minced
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1&1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1&1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked or hot paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup bbq corn kernels - cut off the stalk (3 whole corn; see recipe notes)
- 1 ripe avocado - peeled & cored
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup cilantro - washed & dried
- 1&1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Preheat the oven to 375*F.
Toss the white onion, carrot, jalapeños, and bell pepper in a little extra virgin olive oil to coat. Place the veggies onto a baking sheet, spaced apart, and in the oven (middle rack) for about 30mins, or until browning. Remove from the oven & allow to rest for a couple minutes.
*While the veggies are roasting, add the broth to a large pot over medium heat. Bring it to a gentle boil. Add the roasted tomatoes, minced garlic, spices, and salt. Stir well. Bring back up to a boil, then turn to low to gently simmer.
Once the roasted veggies have rested, place them into a food processor. Cut the carrot into smaller pieces so it fits. Blend on high until the vegetables are finely ground - about 4mins; stop once & awhile to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Add the ground veggies to the simmering pot. Stir well. Continue simmering the soup for another 30mins. Turn the heat off. Add the bbq corn kernels. Stir well. Ready to serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender. Blend on high until smooth. Pour into an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use. Good for 2days.
~ Topped with bbq corn & fresh cilantro.
~ The corn was cooked whole on the bbq with the husks removed. Turn the bbq on low, and place the corn over the flame. Rotate the corn as each side begins to char. Remove from heat and slice the kernels off the stalk.